Here is the tea in Renton this Tuesday, May 18th, 2021 (last week’s tea):
- It’s filing week and many candidates are submitting their registration for the ballot with the King County Elections department. Click here to see who has filed so far. Wait for an article breaking down the races more next week!
- Members of the family of Kaloni Bolton used public comment during the city council meeting last night to ask the city to respond to her death which resulted from an asthma attack. They’re using the hashtag #BreathForKaloni, and saying the phrase “asthma should not be a death sentence.” Kaloni, a 12-year-old Black girl, was said to be neglected by staff at two Renton urgent care facilities before being transferred to Seattle Children’s hospital where they attempted to stabilize her after conditions worsened.
- Faith leaders are holding an interfaith prayer on Saturday, May 22nd over the conflict in Israel and Palestine. It will begin at 3pm at Piazza Park.
- James Alberson has announced his campaign for Position 1. Randy Corman currently holds Position 1 and has withdrawn from the race. Joe Todd has also filed for this position.
- Ruth Pérez re-launched her campaign for re-election on May 10th, 2021 after Randy dropped. Initially they announced as running together late February.